Skip to content
  • Print

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to take Pacific Seminars 1, 2, and 3?

All new incoming Freshmen must complete Pacific Seminars 1, 2, and 3 in order to earn a baccalaureate degree.  Transfer students who have completed more than 28 units must only take and pass Pacific Seminar 3.

Students who place into WRIT 01 or who place into an ESL class are deferred from Pacific Seminars 1 and 2 until their sophomore year.

Can I drop Pacific Seminars 1 or 2?

As stated in the University Catalog, students cannot drop Pacific Seminars 1 or 2, even if they are transferring to another institution.

Do the units for Pacific Seminars 1 and 2 transfer to other universities or colleges?

Pacific Seminar 1 is equivalent to English Composition courses and so will transfer to other institutions . Pacific Seminar 2 might transfer as a writing course or a general elective course. To obtain a letter to send to other institutions that describes the content and writing requirements of the Pacific Seminars, contact the Director of General Education.

What if I fail Pacific Seminar 1 or 2?

Students who fail Pacific Seminar 1 must repeat it in the next academic year.  If students do not pass Pacific Seminars 1 or 2 in their first four semesters, they are subject to disqualification. Students who fail Pacific Seminar 2 can take a different seminar in the next year.

The Pacific Seminars cannot be repeated if students earn a “D” or higher. The Pacific Seminars must be taken for a letter grade.

When should I take Pacific Seminar 3?

Students must have senior standing (92 completed units or more) before taking Pacific Seminar 3. There are exceptions for those in accelerated programs or those studying abroad in their senior year.

What are the GE breadth program requirements for transfer students?

Transfer students who completed the IGETC or CSU Breadth General Education requirements at a California Community College prior to enrolling at Pacific satisfy Pacific's General Education program, though they must complete PACS 003.  Students who have not completed IGETC or the CSU pattern will have their courses articulated to the GE program on a course-by-course basis and should contact the registrar's office for more information.

When do I have to complete the foundational skills requirements in writing and math?

Students who do not satisfy the foundational skills requirements at entrance should complete them no later than the end of summer school of their first year.

Can students receive general education credit for Advanced Placement or InternationalBaccalaureateexams?

Students who receive a 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement (AP) exam or a 5, 6, or 7 on the higher level  International Baccalaureate (AB) exam can satisfy general education requirements in the breadth program.  Consult the  'Advanced Placement Credit for General Education' link for information on the specific articulations.

What are the GE requirements if I am a double major in two different schools?

Students who are seeking a double major in two different schools (e.g., in COP and the School of Business) are only required to satisfy the GE requirements for their primary school; however, if students are seeking dual degrees, they must satisfy the GE requirements for both schools.