Skip to content
  • Print
return to International Programs and Services


University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, California 95211

J-1 Scholars

Click here to request a J-1 Scholar Packet

The J Exchange Visitor category was developed to implement the Mutual Education and Cultural Exchange Act. The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) is to promote educational and cultural exchanges through study, research, lecturing, observing, consulting, and participating in cross-cultural activities.  Note, the EVP cannot be used to avoid paying prevailing wages in post-doctoral positions.

Pacific is approved by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor the following types of J-1 exchange visitors:

Professor: A foreign national whose primary purpose is teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited academic institutions, museums, libraries, or similar types of institutions. A professor also may conduct research when authorized by the sponsor and immigration official.

Research Scholar: Aforeign national whose primary purpose is conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar also may teach or lecture when authorized by the sponsor and immigration official.

Short-Term Scholar: A foreign national who is a professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments who enters the United States for a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions.

Specialist: A foreign national who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skills who enters the United States for the purpose of observing, consulting, or demonstrating special knowledge or skills.

All exchange visitors must comply with certain requirements. These include demonstrating English proficiency, demonstrating access to the necessary funds and maintaining health insurance throughout the duration of the program. More information on each requirement is outlined below.

English Proficiency: DOS also requires sponsors to confirm that prospective exchange visitors possess "sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, to successfully participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis" (see 22 CFR Part 62.11[a][2]).  According to federal regulations an "objective measurement of English language proficiency" can be any one of the following: a recognized English language test; signed documentation from an academic institution; or a documented interview conducted by the sponsor. If a department would like to conduct a documented interview, the

Funding and Estimated Expenses: Visiting scholars may be financially supported by the sponsoring department, external agencies, scholar's home government or institution, or entirely by the scholar's personal resources.  Regardless of the funding source, IPS must verify the exchange visitor's funding prior to DS-2019 issuance.  Exchange visitors are, therefore, required to submit proof of funding (e.g., letters of support or personal bank statements) for the duration of their program period. The current estimate of expenses are $2000/month for the scholar, $600/month for a spouse, and $300/month for a child.

Health Insurance: DOS has established minimum requirements for insurance (see that are designed to protect the exchange visitor and accompanying dependents.  In accordance with 22 C.F.R. Part 62.14, all exchange visitors must have insurance in effect that covers sickness and/or accidents during the period of time that they participate in Pacific's exchange visitor program which is identified on the J-1 Exchange Visitor Department Request Form and the Form DS-2019. More information can be found on the Health Insurance page

Scholar Resources