Skip to content
  • Print

Student Loan Collections

You may occasionally experience challenges with keeping your student loan payments current. If you think you may not be able to make your payments, have missed payments, or defaulted on your loan, the Collection Department is here to assist you. You may qualify for specialized repayment plans or have other options such as deferments and forbearance available. For more information and assistance, please contact the Student Loans Office.

Credit Reporting and Disputes Issues 

A credit report is your personal credit payment history. Lenders utilize it to decide whether or not to grant credit. Your credit report shows how much you have borrowed through credit cards or any other types of loans including student loans, and whether or not you repay your debts in a timely manner.

The University of the Pacific reports the status of all its accounts to:
Equifax Information Service Center
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
(800) 685-1111

Most information reported to the credit bureaus remains on your credit report for seven (7) years, and some bankruptcies and legal actions are listed for ten (10) years. You may have no reason to think there is negative information in your credit report. Credit agencies occasionally make mistakes, and if you feel that your report contains inaccurate information you have the right to dispute the accuracy of that information. As a consumer under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) you have two methods to file your dispute, either with a credit bureau or direct with Student Loan Department at the University of the Pacific.  Credit bureau disputes can be filed electronically, and typically allow for a faster response time. You may file a dispute with any of the three main credit bureaus, which are Equifax, Experian, or Trans Union.

If you choose to file your dispute direct with the Student Loan Department you must follow these steps:

  1. All disputes must be made in writing and include sufficient information to identify your account, such as an   account number, or the last four numbers of your Social Security card, plus your full name, address, and contact telephone number.
  2. List the exact reason you feel the reported account history/information is in error. Explain the basis of your dispute.
  3. Attach supporting documentation or proof to substantiate that an error has occurred.

Mail your completed dispute packet to:
Attn: Student Loans
University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Ave
Stockton CA 95211
We will investigate your dispute and inform you of our response in writing.


You should only handle disputes about erroneous credit information through the appropriate credit bureau. Be very cautious of companies or individuals that claim they can "fix" or "clear up" bad credit reports for a fee.