Skip to content
  • Print
return to Scholarships, Grants, Loans & Work-Study


Office of Financial Aid
Knoles Hall, 1st Floor
Mailing Address:
University of the Pacific
Office of Financial Aid
3601 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95211

Work-Study Details

How Does it Work?

  • Work-Study employment is paid in part from federal financial aid funds and is reserved for students who qualify on the basis of financial need.
  • Therefore, your financial aid file must be complete before you can obtain a Work-Study Verification Card. Money earned through the Federal Work-Study program is paid directly to you and may be used for personal expenses.
  • For additional general information about Federal Work-Study you may also visit our Work-Study website.

Job Search

  • New students may search for a work-study job via the Career Resource Center's online database, Tiger Jobs. (You may also contact campus supervisors directly to find out if they are hiring.)
  • You'll be able to access Tiger Jobs and the student employment application through insidePacific, using your PacificNet ID  (Click on the Careers tab, then on the "Take me to Tiger Jobs" link).
  • Watch for further information regarding Tiger Jobs in e-mails from the Career Resource Center.
  • Most hiring takes place at the start of fall semester, but jobs are also available at the beginning of spring semester and throughout most of the academic year.
  • New students who plan to work on campus must go to the Human Resources Office to fill out a W-4 form (Withholding Allowance Certificate) and obtain a Legal Status to Work card. Be advised that all students are required to have a background check.
  • At HR, you will need to show documents that establish both your identity and your employment eligibility—for example, your driver's license and your Social Security card (not a copy). To view a complete list of acceptable documents, please go to the Human Resources Office. A copy of you award letter, which includes your work-study eligibility can be printed through insidePacific.
  • When you apply for a job, be prepared to show the supervisor your Work-Study Verification and Legal Status to Work cards.
  • Do not start working until you have a Work-Study Verification Card and Legal Status to Work card.


  • After you have satisfied your Financial Aid requirements, come to the Financial Aid Office to get an employment work-study verification card.
  • Each year you are required to pick up a new work-study verification card to ensure you are still eligible. 
  • A member of the Financial Aid staff will issue you a work-study verification card which verifies the amount of Work-Study you are eligible for.
  • If you work for more than one department, or if you change jobs, you'll need to notify the Financial Aid Office
  • Note: Your supervisor must keep a copy of your Work-Study verification card and complete an EPAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form) before you can start work.


  • Once you start work, you enter your hours on Web Time Entry form for supervisor approval which are submitted to the Payroll Office.
  • Web Time Entry forms are completed and students are paid bi-weekly. For any given pay period, the amount you receive will depend on your hourly rate of pay and the number of hours worked during that pay period.
  • If you sign up for direct deposit, your earnings will be paid directly into your bank account, eliminating the delay of having your check mailed to you.
  • You are responsible for recording your hours so that your supervisor can approve and forward them to Payroll. You must also keep track of how much you have earned so you don't earn more than the amount awarded.
  • You may earn your work-study award any time during the academic year. Eligibility not used in the fall generally carries over to spring, but work-study not earned by the end of the school year is canceled.
  • Work-study pay rates are determined according to guidelines established by the Office of Human Resources and must be equal to or greater than the federal minimum wage. Work-study income is taxable.

Please Note

  • Unlike other financial aid, work-study is NOT automatically deposited in your Pacific student account and does not affect the amount of your payments to the University.
  • You are not required to utilize the work-study portion of your financial aid package. Leaving all or part of your work-study unused will not affect the financial aid award you receive next year.
  • For more general information about work-study visit our site on Work-Study and Student Employment