Skip to content
  • Print
return to Graduate Programs


Master of Science in Engineering Science
Chambers Technology Center 104
Dina Dell'Aringa
Administrative Assistant
School of Engineering and Computer Science
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95211

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much is tuition?
    See Admission and Tuition

  • How can I find out if I qualify for financial aid?
    The University will automatically notify you of any financial aid you are eligible to receive. Students may contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information at 209.946.2421. Graduate students that apply for loans should complete the FAFSA.

  • What time of day are the classes scheduled for?
    Classes are offered both daytime and evening.

  • Are there any night classes?
    Yes, we will try to offer at least two early evening classes per semester. We cannot, however, guarantee to offer the entire program through night classes.

  • What concentrations does the MSES offer?
    The MSES offers three concentrations: Civil Engineering (Structural, Management, Environmental), Computer/Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering.

  • When do you need to apply in order to be considered for this program?
    The MSES has a rolling deadline, which means we take applications year round; however, some scholarships and assistantships are awarded as appropriate students are accepted; so there is some advantage to submitting your application as soon as possible.

  • What are the requirements for international applicants?
    The minimum requirements are:
    GRE + Verbal & Quantitative = 300 and Analytical = 3.0
    GPA = 3.0
    TOEFL minimum scores = Computer-based 213, Internet-based = 79-80, Paper-based = 550
    TOEFL scores can be no older than 2 years old.
    GRE scores can be no older than 5 years old.
    Letters of Recommendation can be no older than 1 year old.
    Supporting Bank Documentation can be no older than 6 months.

  • How do I sign up for the GRE's?
    There are two ways of taking the GRE: the computer-based and the paper-based.
    1. Computer-based exams are scheduled appointments any day of the week (with the usual exceptions), but are only offered at specific testing centers. The closest to our campus is in Fair Oaks, which is near Sacramento.
    2. Paper-based systems are offered in batches - much like the FE exam, SAT, etc. These are offered in a much wider variety of locations, but only on specific (yet frequent) dates.
    For more info and to sign up:

  • What is a Graduate Assistantship?
    The primary purpose of a Graduate Assistantship (GA, either Teaching or Research) is to help talented graduate students engage in full-time graduate study for at least a year in their MSES degree.  GAs support the School of Engineering and Computer Science in a variety of ways by assuming the following types of responsibilities: Teaching laboratory courses, providing technical and staff support, working on special School or Departmental projects, and supporting faculty in their research and teaching. Specific responsibilities are defined in semester by semester work plans that are developed collaboratively by each GA with his or her faculty or administrative supervisor.

  • How many units can students transfer in from other colleges or universities?
    Students may transfer in a maximum of 6 units with the approval of the Program Director and Concentration Chair.