Skip to content
  • Print
return to Education Abroad


Education Abroad

International Programs and Services
Bechtel International Center
3601 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95211

Travel Preparations

Getting There

  • Book your departure flight in advance, and ask your program provider if you need to have a return flight booked.
    • Most of our alumni advise booking your return flight once you know when your finals are (often after the start of term)
    • If you cannot do this, book a flexible flight!
  • Some programs will offer transportation from the airport to your housing, but this is not always the case. ALways know where you're going and how to get there
  • Print an itinerary! And make sure to share it with your family and/or guardians so they know the plan.

Passport and Travel Documents

  • All students need a passport to travel outside the United States. If you do not have a passport that is valid for three months after the end of the program, you should apply as soon as possible to avoid any delays. Passport costs depend on the type of processing service selected. Information about applying for a U.S. passport can be found on the U.S. State Department's website:
  • Visa requirements differ by country. Your program may have their own process of visa application, but regardless you are responsible to know the visa requirements and application process, and to procure your necessary visa.


    • If you will need to apply in-country, make sure you have access to the necessary documents before you leave.
  • For some countries you will need to show documentation from your university upon arrival. You should print out the documents and keep them in your carry-on luggage, just in case the border agent asks it of you.

Cell Phone Communication

With Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, and smartphones, you can callusing wifi without international calling fees.

  • Option 1: Bring an "unlocked" phone with you. Purchase a local SIM card abroad and insert it into your phone. Find out from your current cell service provider if your phone is already unlocked; If not, request that it be unlocked
  • Option 2: Buy a local phone and SIM abroad. It's advisable to work out with your family beforehand how much communication they expect from you and how best you will communicate