Skip to content
  • Print
return to Holt-Atherton Special Collections


University of the Pacific Libraries

University Library
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95211

University Archives: Policy and Procedure


The University Archives is the official repository for UOP's records of lasting value and historical importance. The Archives collects inactive university records documenting the university's decision-making processes, culture, policies, events, and people of the University of the Pacific's campuses. Their retention, preservation, and accessibility supports UOP's commitment to instruction, research, and public service. Records are selected for permanent retention by evaluating their long-term value; those retained in the Archives are those that best document the functions and history of the university. The archives does not acquire records of temporary or short-term value.   Records produced by an employee in the course of University business are the property of the University.

Do my department's records belong in the Archives?

The Archives accepts records documenting UOP activities, functions, decisions, and/or policies and programs (both adopted and rejected), in every format, once they are no longer needed for current use. If you are obligated to keep the material permanently in order to conduct business, if you must maintain it to meet fiscal or legal obligations, or if it has research value, contact us to determine whether your materials should be transferred. The following examples may help you make a preliminary analysis of the historical value of your records. Please allow the University Archivist to assist you in making any final decisions.

Examples of archival records (What to transfer)

  • Constitutions and by-laws, minutes and proceedings, and reports of departments, committees, or task forces
  • Publications created by departments, including newsletters, handbooks, annual reports, program announcements, directories, catalogs, brochures, posters, and press releases
  • Policy and procedure documents, or those records that document decision-making processes
  • Correspondence, e-mail, and subject files of academic department heads, program heads, and senior administrators
  • Self-studies, histories, and accreditation reports
  • Photographs (particularly if they are identified)
  • Audio and video recordings
  • Maps and architectural drawings
  • Records documenting the development of and significant changes in programs, curricula, or special projects (e.g. new or eliminated programs, majors, minors)
  • Records documenting relationships with the community, government, other institutions, or the business community
  • Records documenting diversity initiatives
  • Records documenting major research initiatives/projects
  • Records documenting important building issues, such as design and functions of new facilities, major renovations, destruction or repurposing of existing facilities

 Examples of non-archival records (What not to transfer)

  • Exact duplicate copies of anything
  • Routine correspondence, e.g., requests and acknowledgments
  • Records of routine matters, e.g., requests for leave, purchase orders, receipts
  • Reference files or research material, including news clippings, publications, and form letters of departments or organizations other than your own
  • Rough drafts of publications, articles or reports (in most cases)
  • Blank forms, letterhead, or other stationery
  • Personnel records
  • Student information and other student records

How do I transfer my department's archival records?

A consultation with the University Archivist is essential before transferring records, as you will receive expert guidance on your unique records. Please contact the University Archivist with the following information:

  • The types of records you have for transfer (i.e. subject files, committee records, personnel files, etc.)
  • How much material you have to transfer (i.e. number of file drawers, boxes, etc.)
  • Format: physical or electronic?

If the University Archivist decides that your records should be transferred to the Archives, he/she will confirm with you which records should be transferred and coordinate boxing the records or transferring digital files. He/she will want to know the scope of the records, which office produced them, and the business activities they document. We strongly recommend that you include any inventories or indexes you have made of the records, as these will assist us in providing accurate descriptions of your material.

Procedures for Preparing and Transferring Records

The University Archives only accepts material judged by the University Archivist as having long-term historical value. It is preferred that material be properly boxed by your department prior to transfer. This will often result in a faster transfer time, too. Transferring a large amount of boxes (typically more than six) will need to be conducted and requires advanced notice. Please plan accordingly.

1. Maintain the filing arrangement of the records (i.e. alphabetical, numerical, chronological, by subject, by committee).

2. Keep the records in their original file folders and ensure that the files are clearly labeled; include span dates. (Example: Space Planning, 1983-1990).

3. Remove materials from ring binders and hanging folders and place in file folders

  • Maintain the original order of the records.
  • Transfer information from the ring binders and hanging folders to the file folders. If more than one folder is needed then label as, for example, "folder 1 of 2," "folder 2 of 2," etc.

4. Clearly label the boxes with your department name and box number

How do I access my department's archival records?

Special Collections staff will provide you with reference assistance when you would like to access the records after the transfer. You will need to come in to the Special Collections and Archives Reading Room during open hours, or make an appointment to come in.