Skip to content
  • Print

Academic FAQs

1. How many units do I need to take to be a full-time student?

12 units -18 units

2. What is the General Education requirement?

Three courses are required from each of the following categories in General Education:

  • Category I: The Individual and Society
  • Category II: Human Heritage
  • Category III: Natural World and Formal Systems of Thought
  • Pacific Seminars I, II and III (Freshman)
  • Two Area Electives and PacSem III (Transfer Students)
  • Fundamental Skills: Writing, Reading and Quantitative (All students must meet basic skills within one academic year).

3. If I do the GE requirement and my major, is there anything else I need to do to graduate?

There is a Breadth Requirement of at least 64 units outside your major department or discipline for the B.A./B.S. and 53 units for the B.F.A.

4. Do I have to take a foreign language to graduate?

Second Language is required of all students with fewer than 28 units of transfer credit completing a B.A. degree in the College. This requirement can be fulfilled in one of three ways:

  1. 1) Taking the first and second semesters of a Modern Second Language, American Sign Language, Latin or Greek with a C- or higher the second semester.
  2. 2) Passing the requirement by placement exam.
  3. 3) Intensive summer language immersion programs

Note that two years of college level foreign language is one of several requirements to be eligible for consideration for membership in Phi Beta Kappa.

5. When do I have to declare a major, and what if I want to change it?

We encourage you to declare your major by the end of your sophomore year. To change your major, simply fill out a Change of Major form, available in the Academic Affairs office, WPC 111.

6. Can I take summer school classes at a community college?

Obtain a Concurrent Enrollment form from the Registrar's Office prior to registering for classes elsewhere. Note, however, that when you have completed 70 units of any and all college-level work toward the degree (including Pacific units, AP/IB units, and community college units), no more credit from a community college may apply to that degree. Approved, articulated coursework taken from another 4-year college or university will still apply.

7. How will my AP and IB scores count?

The Admissions Office will determine how much credit your AP and IB scores will receive. Currently, course credit earned through AP with a score of 4 or above or IB credit with a score of 5 or above may be used to satisfy certain requirements for the degree.

8. Can I do a study abroad program and still graduate in four years?

Yes. Pacific offers wonderful study abroad programs. For more information, contact:

Email link Ryan Griffith
Director of International Programs and Services
Phone: 209.946.2090