Skip to content
  • Print

Veteran's Frequently Asked Questions

 GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

How do I get certified i.e., have my enrollment reported to the Veteran's Administration (VA)?
After confirming enrollment through the Office of Admissions, new students should contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) by emailing the Registrar's Office according to the campus where they will be physically attending class.

When do I contact the School Certifying Official (SCO)?
After you have confirmed your enrollment with the Office of Admission, you should then contact the SCO. This is based off of the Campus where you physically attend. For contact information.

What documentation is required in order to have my units certified (enrollment reported) to the VA?
  • Chapter 31 students need form 1905.

  • All other chapters need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) provided by the VA after benefits are applied for or transferred. Please note that COE must be addressed to person receiving benefit to be accepted. Since this process can take time, a 'Statement of Benefits' can also be accepted temporarily until COE is received by the SCO. This Statement of Benefits can be found at  or by selecting the following link:


What VA programs does Pacific accept?
Please select the link below for list of chapters currently accepted at Pacific.

Do continuing students need to complete any paperwork after their first semester or year of attendance to continue receiving VA benefits?
Continuing students should keep a copy of their COE or 1905 (as applies) for their records so they are aware of the details of their benefits i.e Expiration date. The SCO also keeps a copy of this document on file, so if this information is needed the SCO can be contacted to assist.  Generally, as long as this information is current, covering the semester at hand, no additional documentation is needed. If this is expired, the beneficiary will need to contact the VA for assistance, as your units will NOT be certified by the SCO unless an updated form is received. It is the student's responsibility to insure they know their eligibility status prior to each semester. Students will be certified each semester they are enrolled; unless they contact the SCO prior to the particular semester they would NOT like to be certified. Notification to the SCO must be sent via Pacific email.

How do I get my Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?
The BAH is prompted when the SCO (School Certifying Official) certifies your units to the VA. This process is completed prior to the beginning of the semester. Please contact the VA if you have questions regarding this or select the link below to access a BAH tool. If any changes are made to your registration after the last day to add/drop during any given semester, the SCO must be notified IMMEDIATELY via your Pacific email. Changes to registration could effect your BAH and may result in repayment to the VA for any overage in payment.

What if I would NOT to like to be certified for a given semester?
Please contact your campus SCO via Pacific email and notify them right away. 

What should I do if I reduce the number of units for which I am enrolled or have course changes during the semester?
Students must notify the SCO immediately of any changes to enrollment status. Please refer to the link below to view the current Academic Calendar for important dates.
Students must also contact Student Accounts regarding any possible changes in their student account balance.

What should I do if I withdraw from the University?
Students must immediately notify their SCO of any changes to enrollment status during any given semester. Students must also contact Student Accounts regarding any possible changes in their student account balance. 

Post 9/11 GI Bill® students (Chapter 33) with 100% eligibility - Yellow Ribbon
When should I apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program? 

Students should apply for the Yellow Ribbon program as soon as you 'confirm' your attendance at Pacific. This opportunity is on a first come, first served basis and has limited space. Below is the link to the application.
Pacific's Yellow Ribbon Application
Will I be notified of my acceptance status for receiving the Yellow Ribbon benefit from Pacific?

Yes, the SCO on the campus which you attend will notify you within 10 business days.
How much does Pacific match for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

After the yearly stipend by the VA is exhausted, Pacific matches 50/50 with the VA to cover the remainder of tuition and fees in regular term. The Yellow Ribbon program is not offered in summer. Please see the link below for yearly payment rates.

Once I have completed my paperwork, are there any other steps I need to complete to insure my financial obligations have been met for the semester?
Always check with the Student Accounts and Financial Aid offices to ensure your requirements have been completed and your account is current prior to the beginning of each semester.

If I want to enroll in summer session, what should I do?
Summer is open enrollment so you may register. The Yellow Ribbon program is not offered in the summer. However, if you have any front end benefits remaining from the Yearly Stipend allotted to you by the VA, you may have some coverage. Please note this is not guaranteed. Please contact the VA to determine the current balance on your benefit. For additional Yellow Ribbon Program information, please click on the link below and review our website.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehab Students
As a Chapter 31 student, what charges are paid by the VA?
The VA will pay for tuition, required fees and supplies, books, and parking. The student is responsible for on campus room and board that is charged to the student account. Please refer to your form 1905 for approved costs.

Information Regarding Refunds
When can I request a refund for the credit from financial aid on my student account?

Students can begin requesting refunds the first week of the semester. 
Who do I speak to about requesting a refund?

On the Stockton campus, the Student Accounts office located in the Finance Center can assist with refunds. The Business offices on both the Sacramento and San Francisco campuses can assist with refund requests.
If I receive financial aid loans and/or scholarships, when can I request a refund of those funds?

The University will refund any credit balance on your student account and/or once the payment has been received from the VA.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Do I need to pay my semester charges by the payment deadline if I am receiving benefits that cover the cost of my enrollment?
If you are receiving benefits that cover the total cost of enrollment (tuition & required fees only) but the University will not receive the funds prior to the semester payment deadline, you will not be required to borrow money to cover costs while waiting for your benefits, or be charged a late fee or penalty. If you are receiving financial aid that covers the total charges on your student account, then you have met your financial requirements for the semester. If you are not receiving enough aid to cover total charges once your benefit amount is received, then you must pay the remaining balance in full. 

Do I need to complete a FAFSA to obtain Financial Aid?
Yes, in order to receive Federal student loans, you must complete a FAFSA. Please file the FAFSA beginning in October of the current year to insure you receive your award package prior to the fall invoice which is sent the following July.

Registrar Contact information:
Stockton - - (209) 946 - 2135
Sacramento - - (916) 739 - 7106
San Francisco - - (415) 929 - 6653

Student Accounts Contact information:
Stockton - - (209) 946 - 2517
Sacramento - - (916) 739 - 7054
San Francisco - - (415) 929 - 6653