Skip to content
  • Print

International Students

Tips for Success

International Students & On-Campus Employment

Work-Study and International Students
Work-Study is a form of financial assistance from the U.S. federal government to American students. Only American students are potentially eligible for work-study positions.  

Working Hours
During the academic year when classes are in session, F-1 and J-1 students can work no more than 20 hours per week.
During the summer and any breaks or vacations throughout the academic year, F-1 and J1 students can work up to 40 hours per week.

Location of Employment

On-campus is defined as any location on the physical campus (for example, Rec Center, Cafeteria, an academic department, Admissions, etc.) or any position where the student is being paid directly by Pacific.

On-Campus Employment Authorization

F-1 Students: There is no authorization required for international students to work on-campus. You can begin working as soon as they are offered a position and are able to complete all I-9 and university hiring requirements which include presenting a SSN card. 

J-1 Students: J-1 students must receive work authorization BEFORE starting any on-campus employment. The student receives work authorization from IPS or their sponsoring agency. J-1 students must also complete all I-9 and university hiring requirements which include presenting a SSN card.

Off-Campus Employment

International students are only eligible to work off-campus in certain situations depending on their immigration status.  

F-1 Students 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT):

  • To be eligible for CPT, the internship must be required for the course or degree program and the internship must be related to their program of study. Students are eligible for part-time (less than 20 hours per week) or full-time (20 hours or more per week) CPT. 
  • For internships, an international student must be approved for CPT (approved by IPS) prior to beginning the internship regardless of whether the internship is paid or unpaid. The international student will have to submit a form signed by the academic advisor and the internship company certifying that the internship is required and related to the student's program of study.  

Optional Practical Training (OPT): 

  • If an international student would like to participate in an internship or other work opportunity that is not required for a course or their program of study but is related to their program of study, they can seek work authorization from the U.S. federal government.
  • The student must be approved for work authorization prior to beginning any work but no job/internship offer is required for the application. If a student is interested in this work authorization, the student must meet with IPS.  J-1 Students  

Academic Training (AT):

  • If a student would like to participate in an internship or other practical experience related to their field of study, they can apply for academic training authorization. 
  • AT can be used before or after completion of the program and authorization must be received prior to beginning any employment.
  • AT authorization is required for paid or unpaid employment.
  • To apply for AT, a student must submit a completed and signed Academic Training form to IPS.