Skip to content
  • Print

January 25, 2018

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room
3:00-5:00 pm   

MINUTES   

Attendance:            
Business:
J. Herche(a), J. Miles(p)
Conservatory:
P. Shands(a), A. Miller(a)College: A. Lenzi(p), J. Hetrick(p), C. Dobbs(p), L. Fox(a), J. Hole(p), S. King(p), J. Becker(p), B, Swagerty (p), P. Meyer(p), S. Jensen(p), P. Turpin (a) 
Dental: S. Gupta(a), A. Gluskin(a), P. Subar(a)t, S. Sadowsky(p)
Education: L. Webster(p), M. Draheim(p)
Emeriti: Roland. di Franco(a)
Engineering:  S. Gulati(p), J. Shafer (p) 
Law: J. Sims(p), R. Salcido(a)
Library: M. Maloney(p)
PHS:  C Peterson(p), X. Guo(p), D. Vyas(a), R. Halliwell(p)J Livesey(p)
SIS: S. Mathis(a) 
ASUOP: C, Styc(p)  
Graduate Student Assoc: C. Cannon(p)
Ex-Officio:  P. Eibeck(p), H. Escalante(Ombuds)(a), M. Pallavicini(p), D.Kelly(Athletics)(p), Joel Lohr(a), Doug Weiser(p)  
Guests: Thomas Naehr, Dean of the Graduate School; Ben Carlston, AACG Chair  

Call to Order
AC Chair, Jeff Becker called the meeting to order at 3:04 pm, he welcomed replacement members for AC members on Spring 2018 leave; Jim Hetrick, COP, Bill Swagerty, COP, Paul Turpin, COP and Jeff Shafer, ENG.  

I.      Consent Agenda
A.  November 9, 2017 Minutes
B.  December 14, 2017 Minutes                                                                               
C.  Academic Affairs on Undergraduate Studies

  1. January 16, 2018 Course Approval Log 
  2. January 16, 2018 Program Approvals                   

D.  Academic Affairs on Graduate Studies                        

  1. January 16, 2018 Course Approval Log                        
  2. January 16, 2018 Program Approvals                   

Motion to approve the consent agenda with small correction to December 14, 2017 minutes.                      

Motion Second Action
Sharmila King John Sims Passed


II.     
Reports

A.  ASuop representative - Caroline Styc
Caroline told the council student sentiment on the Athletics overage has subsided, ASuop supports transparency and support of student athletes.  The third space initiative of additional outdoor spaces has identified three spaces for covered outdoor seating.  The students would like to see upgrades for commuters and more seating and skateboard racks.  ASuop is working on a live entertainment event for the spring semester.

B. Graduate Student Association (GSA) President - Chris Cannon
Chris related that graduated students continue to be upset by the Athletics budget and worry that funds will be diverted to cover the overage.  GSA may transition to student advisors.  Additionally, grad students are wanting additional support (evening), daycare, and evening services in Financial Aid and the Registrar's Office.                             

C.  Chairperson's Report - Jeff Becker
AC Chair Becker referred to the distributed copy of his report to the Board of Regents which reflects the tenor and spirit of the work of Academic Council this year.  Jeff will mention the Athletics budget and IPC information to the Regents.  The Status of Women committee report is completed and will be sent to the President and shared with the Regents.  Jeff announced visits from parking, library and bookstore consultants are occurring.  Academic Council Executive Board held its second meeting of the year with faculty chairs of University committees to assess their work, purpose and concerns.  One result was IEC, UAC and Academic Affairs committees need better integration to address program review process.  Jeff asked members to forward any additional comments for the Board of Regents to him or Carole Hill.

D.  President's Report - Pamela Eibeck
President Eibeck welcome AC members back for spring semester.  She reported on a new City of Stockton Scholars Endowment Fund for college scholarships of 20 million announced by Mayor Tubbs, it will be matched by the Powell Fund.  The President also announced that the new Interim Vice President of Enrollment Management, Dave Voskuil has started and is busy with Financial Aid offers.  She will be attending NAICU after the Regents meeting in Washington D.C.  On the topic of DACA, higher education has a critical role in in ensuring access to serve the future workforce and a strong democratic society. The future of DACA is in the hands of White House and a few senators.  The President thanked IPC for an incredible conversation on University finances and the Athletics budget and it will be shared with the Board of Regents.  She encouraged Academic Council to be engaged in IPC's recommendation of what FY19 budget should be and stated there are a multitude of factors affecting the budget. Last year was first year of comprehensive budget proposal on website and input is welcome.  The Board of Regents will act on the budget in April.  She suggested an AC meeting dedicated to hearing IPC briefing for next year.
Chair Becker asked what level of feedback from faculty would be appropriate and what is fixed?
The President responded that the Town Hall, IPC presentation is for feedback, and there is very little discretionary money available. 
The President thanked each member for being leaders of the faculty in these turbulent times of external challenges.  They require continuous improvement to be a thriving, successful university from a partnership of faculty, staff, and students.
A.    Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
The Provost welcomed AC members back and commented the semester is in full force. She reported on P2020R, the strategic plan focusing on students.  The students with purpose initiatives reports from Edie Sparks, Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education will be ready in the next few weeks.   A SIF proposal will be forthcoming to address student success and career advising.  Pre-matriculation, acceptance of admission and enrollment is going to improve.  The Provost mentioned graduate student support and shared governance policies are being developed to eliminate inconsistencies. There will be improvement in the grad assistantship process (more transparency), and deans and program directors will be surveyed soon.  The Provost shared the unit Deans attended a briefing and discussions with the Council of Assistant and Associate Deans is continuing.  Steven Howell, Dean of Engineering has assumed the interim position in Eberhard School of Business, as David Dauwalder has left the interim position.  Another change is Gesine Gerhard is leaving to accept a Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Drake University.  Berit Gundersen is leaving her position as Vice Provost of Faculty Affairs.  The Provost is working with a search firm to identify external candidates. An internal candidate is likely and if there are insufficient external candidates only internal will be considered.  The position is posted and AC leadership will be asked for faculty members to assist in the search.  The Faculty Administrative Leadership Program is beginning for faculty to develop leadership skills if they are interested in Administration.  The Provost spoke of six areas of compliance she related in a memo to the Deans asking for their unit's process to ensure compliance. We must publish resources 30 days prior to registration (Dept. of Ed regulation). She referred to syllabus requirements for course descriptions and credit hours.  The purpose of this effort is to best serve our students. AC Chair Becker asked the Provost to provide faculty with more clarify on the regulations and best practices as there is uncertainty about the standards to which the faculty is being expected to comply with.  The Provost explained some are regulations, some guidelines and we may not find absolute "musts" in WSCUC.  It's not just about WSCUC but thinking what students need and having a good understanding to hold ourselves responsible to.
An AC member asked about textbook policy.
The Provost answered we must ensure that students can buy or rent (have the time) and accommodations for students with disabilities.  

III.      Action Items
A.  BA Liberal Studies Closure
Motion to approve closure of the BA in Liberal Studies:

Motion Second Action
Cathy Peterson Xin Guo Passed


The closure is recommended by faculty of History and Religious Studies, approved by the unit and the Academic Affairs Committee on Undergraduate Studies at their January 16, 2018 meeting.  It was confirmed a teach out plan is developed and available to students and there are no faculty that teach exclusively in the program.   

B. University Marshall
Motion to approve the nomination of Balint Sztaray, COP as University Marshall:

Motion Second Action
John Livesey Sharmila King Passed, Yes 23, No 2


C.  Academic Calendars - John Livesey    

  1. Academic Calendar 2018-2019          
  2. Eight Year Calendar 2018-2026 

Motion to table until February 8, 2018 Academic Council Meeting to allow for the following issues to be addressed:
1) additional day for grade submittal, 2) financial aid consideration, 3) summer session 1 drop deadline, and 4) reason scheduling of spring break

Motion Second Action
Jim Hetrick John Sims Passed, Yes 24, No 1


D.  Graduate Studies Policies - Thomas Naehr, Ben Carlston

Motion to approve Admission and Academic Regulation Graduate catalog policy:

Motion Second Action
Sharmila King Cathy Peterson Passed, Yes 21, No 4


Thomas Naehr (TN), Dean of the Graduate School and Ben Carlston (BC), Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee on Graduate Studies and a member of the P2020R Graduate Policy sub-committee addressed the council.  The P2020R team looked at catalog policies on admissions and academic regulations.  The goal was to make the catalog consistent, streamline information and apply to all graduate students on all 3 campuses.
For admissions the primary change is admission status, from full at 3.0, now recommend full admissions with 2.65 GPA or above, each program can set their own standards (higher).  International students cannot get a visa on conditional admission so this change will be beneficial to international students.  Conditional status is for students that still have documents to submit (official vs unofficial transcripts).
Q: How does 2.65 compare with peers?
Dean Naehr: In the middle, it varies 2.5 to 3.0 so we're in the middle
AC member commented it's in the low middle at 2.65.
BC: The 2.65 minimum applies to the university overall, units can set it higher - the sub-committee want to make the unofficial minimum the actual minimum.
Q: When and why it was set as 2.65, its low, what does it signal, what is the strategy and other indicators of student success.  Do students that are at 2.65 succeed?
BC: Good standing requires a 3.0 and no grades lower than a B, but the classification wasn't being tracked
TN: Student success wasn't being tracked on conditional admits either.
Provost: Institutional Research could give us this information.
Dean Naehr related there is also change to expanded services to submit international applicants from one to seven services.
Dean Naehr also shared the policy changes to academic regulations. There's an important change to policy for students with a gap between undergrad and grad and those who do not meet the minimum GPA.  The policy contains a GPA waiver for those out of school for 5 or more years, the student must have the support of the dean of the program and a letter of recommendation from their employer/supervisor (relevant to the field of study) demonstrating the are ready to come back and be successful in grad studies.  This provides more structure around a previously ambiguous practice.
Q: AC member expressed that to come in with GPA under 2.65 for a gap student is unacceptable and he would not support it.
TN: We're not trying to lower overall standards, and the program will determine their standards own standards.  This provides a better process for programs requesting deviations from the norm.
Q: AC member felt like there is an understanding that programs can set their own standards, process to review those requests is appreciated.
Q: AC member questioned the two different standards for English - one for grad student, one for TA
TN: Answer the current catalog has the same, which reflects different expectations for someone who is teaching, and it is comparable to peers policies.
Q: Same AC member recommended having the same standard for both - the higher standard.
Provost: UOPI accelerator - there are progression requirements to meet to advance in regular program
Q: AC member noted english will improve as students' progress but a higher standard is needed for those that are teaching (TA's)
Provost: Clarified that UOPI is for both grad and undergrad as we can are now able to admit potential grad students into the accelerator. I-17 has been adjudicated so that students that go into the accelerator aren't matriculated. 
Q: AC Member requested more specific info on the peers and how 2.65 compares prior to catalog publish next year.  

E. MSAT Relocation to the Graduate School - Ben Carlston
Motion to approve recommendation of MSAT relocation from College of the Pacific to the Graduate School.

Motion Second Action
Sharmila King Cathy Peterson Not approved, Yes 5, No 10, Abstentions 6


Chair Becker reviewed the MSAT relocation memo to move the program from the College of Pacific to the Graduate School.  Ben Carlston (BC), AACG Chair explained the reasons why the committee rejected the relocation.   The committee had concern about no system of faculty governance in the Graduate School.  The interim curriculum committee that was formed in the Graduate School was administratively constituted and not elected as specified in the faculty handbook.  It was noted the move was a quick solution, creating more problems than it was solving.  PHS already has a school of health sciences and should be the home of MSAT.  Other AC members commented that the Grad School has no academic departments or faculty members and this would be compound by moving non tenured track faculty into a unit with no governance structure.
TN: Grad school is already supporting graduate students and could help to launch the programs which might be harder in the other/larger units.
Provost: Understands all concerns, and these are very valid points, especially on the governance structure. MSAT can't be in COP due to voting rights.  As we start the new programs, we had discussions with deans, the programs need admin support and it will be challenging to move out of one school into another existing school.  Resources (employees) are difficult to pull out.  How do you get a shared governance structure in a new school, create a tenured faculty curriculum committee, they could have joint appointments.  Be able to look at the curriculum, solution to voting rights problem in the college.  There was no consensus among the Deans. 
BC: The need for Dean's buy in is understood but to allow them to make the decision is not a shared governance model.  Whatever the unit the same resources will be used, university resources.
Q: Why not make MSAT Director a TT faculty member
Q: This was a decision by the Dean, not PHS faculty.
Provost: It's unwise to put a program where the leadership did not want it.
Q: Is the grad school an incubator?
TN: No, grad school can help with things the incubator does, provide our resources.
Provost: The incubator is a concept/individual to help launch and prepare new programs for grad and undergrad.
Q: Should all other health programs move to the grad school? If so, provide clarity on what can the faculty of this units expect? P&T, grievance, process and protocol, compliance, best practices.
Q: A growing number of NTT faculty are being put in the new programs, college bylaws following the FHB, allowing NTT faculty to vote is the exception to the handbook in units that now allow it. 
Provost: MSAT faculty must have voting rights or can't go forward, would it make sense if one could get the bylaws developed then come back to the MSAT question.
Q: Contrary to the incubator, if it went into PHS the structure is already there, Chair Becker: Do the issues of putting MSAT in pharmacy, exceed the issues of putting in grad school?
Q: If placed in Pharmacy with Physical Therapy we'd have similar programs growing together, IPE (Inter Professional Education) will be much better, cross unit is not a good practice. Provost: Other programs coming are Occupational Therapy, Clinical Lab Science, School of Nursing - other schools are pursuing these and other programs (in our back yard) they are nimble, are we going to get all of these going?   Worries of our ability to be nimble to grow enrollment.
Q: What is the timeline to reality of a health school?
Provost: P2020R approved by 2021, business plan, robust programs, PA program moving toward tenured line - within the next two years
BC: Let's start where we want to end.  Instead of using the grad school, why not create the health school?
Provost: Challenge of interdisciplinary program at the grad level, create opportunities across two schools, grad school is a place to house these programs.    

IV.      Discussion/Information Items
Academic Council was unable to hear these items due to time constraints
A.  WSCUC Update - Sharmila King
B. NTT Update - Jeff Becker   

V.       What's on your mind?  

Adjournment
John Sims motioned to adjourn, motion passed and meeting was adjourned at 5:11 p.m.